SEASON 4 OF THE PEN GARDEN IS HERE!
What’s this Season about?
Welcome to the fourth season of The Pen Garden Podcast. It’s titled Success & Failure. After a short break, I’ve come back to the podcast with lots of new ideas so I’m once again very excited to share them with you.
Learn How success and failure can shape your routine
In this season I will look at writer success and failure, as perceived by writers themselves, and help you understand how these two seemingly opposing things can both change the way you view your writing practice. They can both wreak havoc in whatever writing routine you’ve established so I’m going to examine them through the lens of mental health and productivity, and leave you with some tips to manage the change when it inevitably happens.
In the next five episodes, you will learn about:
- writing practice highs and lows, and how they impact your writing routine. I’ve asked writers about what they perceive as success and failure and their answers were eye-opening.
- how to deal with success, whatever that means to you. It can introduce new stresses and unexpected time black holes in your writing practice, so reestablishing your routine and keeping your focus on the important things is important.
- how to accept criticism and avoid the mental health traps that rejection and critical feedback inevitably bring. Writers of any kind will encounter this at some point in their practice, be it from agents, editors, clients, readers or even family members and friends. Learning how not to be discouraged is immensely useful both for your writing life but also for your overall mental health too.
- how to avoid some of the writing goal-setting pitfalls by reassessing your aspirations as a writer and crafting a writing routine tailored to your personal situation.
- how those around you affect what you perceive as success in writing, and how well-meaning peers can make you mistakenly believe that you’re failing. Evaluating the usefulness expectations friends and family have for us, as well as society as a whole, is something every writer should take some time to do.
The Lavender Phantom, my upcoming thriller romance, is now available for presale at a special price for all the early birds. The creation of that book has informed a lot of the content I’ve discussed in this podcast, so I’m excited to share it with you all. It’s not been an easy journey but I’ve learned a lot along the way about writing, mental health and productivity.
Listen and Join The Conversation
Episodes come out weekly on Tuesdays, with episode 1 available to listen right now. After the end of this season, as before, there will be a reflection break, for me and for you guys. I’m currently considering a change in format which will come into the new year but more about that closer to the time.
If you want to be up to date on Pen Garden news, subscribe to the show and sign up to my newsletter – sign up form available on the right (or bottom if you’re on mobile). Newsletters come once in the beginning of a season and once at the end so your inbox won’t fill up. As a bonus, all of them feature a cute animal and a book recommendation. So no spam, only cups of writing joy.
Episode 2 comes out next week
Join me on your favorite podcasting platform!
Listen and subscribe
Listen to all Available episodes of season 4:
Or the episodes from seasonS 1,2&3: